Awarded second place in the 2017 AJN Book of the Year Awards in the Information Technology category. See how information technology intersects with health care! Health Informatics: An Interprofessional Approach, 2nd Edition prepares you for success in today’s technology-filled healthcare practice. Concise coverage includes information systems and applications such as electronic health records, clinical decision support, telehealth, ePatients, and social media tools, as well as system implementation. New to this edition are topics including data science and analytics, mHealth, principles of project management, and contract negotiations. Written by expert informatics educators Ramona Nelson and Nancy Staggers, this edition enhances the book that won a 2013 American Journal of Nursing Book of the Year award!
- Experts from a wide range of health disciplines cover the latest on the interprofessional aspects of informatics ― a key Quality and Safety Education for Nurses (QSEN) initiative and a growing specialty area in nursing.
- Case studies encourage higher-level thinking about how concepts apply to real-world nursing practice.
- Discussion questions challenge you to think critically and to visualize the future of health informatics.
- Objectives, key terms and an abstract at the beginning of each chapter provide an overview of what you will learn.
- Conclusion and Future Directions section at the end of each chapter describes how informatics will continue to evolve as healthcare moves to an interprofessional foundation.
- NEW! Updated chapters reflect the current and evolving practice of health informatics, using real-life healthcare examples to show how informatics applies to a wide range of topics and issues.
- NEW mHealth chapter discusses the use of mobile technology, a new method of health delivery ― especially for urban or under-served populations ― and describes the changing levels of responsibility for both patients and providers.
- NEW Data Science and Analytics in Healthcare chapter shows how Big Data ― as well as analytics using data mining and knowledge discovery techniques ― applies to healthcare.
- NEW Project Management Principles chapter discusses proven project management tools and techniques for coordinating all types of health informatics-related projects.
- NEW Contract Negotiations chapter describes strategic methods and tips for negotiating a contract with a healthcare IT vendor.
- NEW Legal Issues chapter explains how federal regulations and accreditation processes may impact the practice of health informatics.
- NEW HITECH Act chapter explains the regulations relating to health informatics in the Health Information Technology for Education and Clinical Health Act as well as the Meaningful Use and Medicare Access & CHIP Reauthorization Act of 2015.